Re: use of EXPORT_SYMBOL()

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Adel Qodmani <mpcadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And you're allowed to use it in Kernel modules too? I mean I can expose a
> function in a kernel module that I am building by using EXPORT_SYMBOL?

technically, yes, you're allowed to export symbol(s) in your kernel
module. Of course, during compiling, module that uses that exported
symbol will be said as using unknown symbol (but since likely you will
use "extern", it will still go on).

During module linking in kernel space, that "unknown symbol name" will
be resolved. Just like what we see when a program link to function(s)
or variable(s) in dynamic libraries.

I think this is explained very well in LDD chapter 1 or 2) and LKD. Kernel modules are in kernel space, so if you export a symbol it is available to the kernel.
--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant