Re: the cost of vmalloc

Hi!

On 16:54 Sat 10 Sep     , Zheng Da wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Michael Blizek
> <michi1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The whole point of allocating a large chunk of memory is to avoid
> >> extra memory copy because I need to run decompression algorithms on
> >> it.
> >
> > In this case scatterlists solves 2 problems at once. First, you will not need
> > to allocate large continuous memory regions. Second, you avoid wasting memory.
> The problem is that the decompression library works on contiguous
> memory, so I have to provide contiguous memory instead of
> scatterlists.

Which decompression lib are you talking about? Even if it does not have
explicit support for scatterlists, usually you should be able to call the
decompress function multiple times. Otherwise, how would you (de)compress data
which is larger than available memory?

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com