Re: Debug Kernel Crash

>> does /var/crash or kdump target directory as mentioned in
>> /etc/kdump.conf exists?
>

> One thing i forgot to mention is in my root there is not configuration file
> /etc/sysconfig/kdump or
> /etc/kdump.conf, is this anything to do with this and not even /var/crash, i
> got the latest kexec-tool
> source from the git and build it.
This file will be provided the kexec-tools rpm of any distribution. I
am not sure whether the git repo has it or not.
It would be easier (say if you are on redhat, you can yum install
kexec-tools, yum install kernel-kdump, boot it in kdump kernel) if
your distribution rpms to set it up.
You need to append crashkernel=128M@16M on kernel command line and
boot it into the kdump kernel ( that you might have built with certain
kexec related options enabled). Also you create directory /var/crash
if it does not exist  and you need to regenerate or create a new
initrd for the second kernel( that will boot when crash happens).
thx,thayumanavar s.