Re: hi

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Viral Mehta
<Viral.Mehta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> let us talk the kernel and not the culturalism..

Kernel Newbies is about culturalism, it is about the open source and
Linux culture.  This is often the first mailing listusers go w ho are
a. potential/current kernel developers(minus the big wigs) or b.
confused "Linux users" who can not yet differentiate the Linux kernel
and the user space programs running on top of the Linux operating
system.  The word newbie in the title is deceiving because a newbie to
the Linux kernel is often very advanced in computing in general.

In group "a" there are a few types of people:
1.  College students to lazy to do homework.
2.  People too lazy to sort through the forums for the answer.
3.  People who see Linux as the new cool thing and want to learn it,
but do not even know how to program yet.
4.  Kernel programmers who have been doing this for a while, but are
new to Linux and open source.
5. People who like solving kernel problems, helping others, and
learning new parts of the kernel while helping others.
 6. People promoting their personal consulting ventures and helping
others at the same time(I personally am cool with this group of people
and most of them are very professional about it)
7. etc....

Remember sometimes it is obvious how to find the answer in Google if
you know the actual terms to use.

In group "b" people need to be kindly directed to the proper location
where their question may be more relevant.

> and also may be what are the ways to go forward to have footer in first mail after the subscription explaining or giving some FAQ links.....

The following link is very good
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html but the target
audience of this is at people who asks simple questions which Google
returns answer for in first response.  They probably will not read
this whole post it is  a bit verbose.
I think it is still worth linking to, but maybe something else a bit
less complex may be helpful also.

In closing I would just like to remind people when and why they
started using Linux.  I have been programming in Linux for 10+ years
and kernel specific for 5+ years.  I still consider myself ans "kernel
Newbie" because the kernel is so complex.  Remember everyone was a
newbie once.  I read the book "Understanding the Linux kernel" 5 times
before i even understood what it was saying.  I hope that as Linux
continues to grow in popularity it will be able to maintain that
community feeling.   This is one of my favorite mailing lists and I
have only been fully active for a year or two, but have been finding
answers here for many years by searching the archives and random
returns from Google searches..  I like this list because it is small
enough that I can read every email and most the people are a little
more friendly than many other lists.  I hope we can keep it that way
and adapt to the increasing popularity of Linux as it becomes more
mainstream.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my unexpectedly extended response,
John