Re: BIOS Vs. Linux

2010/11/7 Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx
> 2010/11/6 Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Greg,
>>> So the timing as to when the parameters is not what I was addressing.
>>
>> From your previous reply, it looked like you are not agreeing with my first
>> statement
>> "As I can remember, Linux uses BIOS only at the bootup time, after that on a
>> running kernel, there is no role of BIOS routines."
>> so this bootup time code involves all these sort of initialization, perhaps
>> I used 'bootup time' as very abstract word. I think we are on same page.
>> BTW with your reply, looks you are also in storage domain.
>> Rajat
>
> Storage is my primary area of interest for the last 10+ years. ÂBefore
> that it was networking.
>
> My first big UNIX project almost 30 years ago was to design the
> hardware for a TOE for a SLIP (serial line IP) implementation.
>
> The TOE hardware was based on 68010 embedded cpu with 8 uarts (really
> 4 duarts iirc))
>
> I also wrote much of the UNIX driver that talked to the controller.
> Someone else wrote the TOE firmware.
>
> Greg

hi

First of all, Thanks a lot guys for your input.

As I mentioned earlier I am more interested in role of BIOS in
configuring the hardware for linux kernel like IOAPIC, APIC, PIC
configuration (i.e. IRQ allocation and routing for PCI and another
devices via various tables like MP tables, PIR tables or ACPI tables),
Power management using ACPI, allocating address spaces (MMIO and IO
mapped IO) to PCI devices.

And then how linux kernel utilizes this configuration information and
at what time? e.g In another way, my question can be taken as how,
when and by whom - the base address information and interrupt line
information is
written into PCI config. space of any PCI device?

Thanks Again

--
Anuj Aggarwal

Â.''`.
: :â :ÂÂ # apt-get install hakuna-matata
`. `'`
ÂÂ `-