Re: BIOS Vs. Linux

There is also the Video BIOS area which may be used by X (or others) for displaying graphics when no native drivers are available.

Also, if USB Legacy mode is enabled there may be background SMIs that are generated to break into the BIOS System Management Mode and provide legacy support for keyboard and mouse.

My understanding is that the CPU may also generate SMIs for other purposes, such as manipulating power management settings if the hardware is overheating.

Best regards,
Rob