RE: Kernel Image Size and Build Machine

Title: RE: Kernel Image Size and Build Machine

>> Hi All,
>>
>> When I cross compile the kernel for ARM, the final uImage size for the same
>> source varies on two different PC's.
>> The same toolchain is used in both PC's.
>> The uImage size built from Ubuntu 9.10 is 2.79 MB and from Ubuntu 8.04 is
>> 4.78 MB.
>>
>> Can any please let me know, why there is so much difference in the uImage
>> size ?
>> I believe, It should give the same size from the same toolchain
>> irrespective of the build PC.
>>

> These versions of Ubuntu have different versions of gcc, make, autoconf,
> flex, etc....
> Even though you are using the same toolchain you are creating
> the toolchain with a different set of tools.  I have had cross compile build
> systems that were set up for Ubuntu 8.04 that would not even build in 9.04.
>
> I would compare the versions of the tools you are using to build the
> toolchain and also check that your using the same versrion of gcc inside
> your toolchain.  Some version of a tool in the older Distro may be causing
> an optimization to be disabled.
>
> Just a random guess based on my experience with past adventures into porting
> cross compile systems to new distros.

> What I currently do is create a virtual machine of the os the cross compile
> is running on and use that in all systems. Changing distros will totally
> change all the versions and compile options of your system used to create
> the toolchain and it is already complicated enough without the unnecessary
> complexity.

> Best  of Luck,
> John

Hi John,
Thanks for the details...

> I would compare the versions of the tools you are using to build the
> toolchain and also check that your using the same versrion of gcc inside
> your toolchain.

But I am not building the toolchain. I am using the toolchain binary downloaded :
arm-2007q3, with gcc version 4.2.1 :
ashok@ashok-desktop:/opt/arm-2007q3/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin$ ./gcc --version
gcc (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51) 4.2.1
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

The same toolchain binaries I am using in both the PC's.

Regards
Ashok