Re: Kernel Image Size and Build Machine

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:10 AM, <ashok.shanmugam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

When I cross compile the kernel for ARM, the final uImage size for the same source varies on two different PC's.
The same toolchain is used in both PC's.
The uImage size built from Ubuntu 9.10 is 2.79 MB and from Ubuntu 8.04 is 4.78 MB.

Can any please let me know, why there is so much difference in the uImage size ?
I believe, It should give the same size from the same toolchain irrespective of the build PC.

These versions of Ubuntu have different versions of gcc, make, autoconf, flex, etc....
Even though you are using the same toolchain you are creating the toolchain with a different set of tools.  I have had cross compile build systems that were set up for Ubuntu 8.04 that would not even build in 9.04.

I would compare the versions of the tools you are using to build the toolchain and also check that your using the same versrion of gcc inside your toolchain.  Some version of a tool in the older Distro may be causing an optimization to be disabled.

Just a random guess based on my experience with past adventures into porting cross compile systems to new distros.

What I currently do is create a virtual machine of the os the cross compile is running on and use that in all systems. Changing distros will totally change all the versions and compile options of your system used to create the toolchain and it is already complicated enough without the unnecessary complexity.

Best  of Luck,
John