Working with Ubuntu Linux - Where is root?

Thank you all, I did change /etc/default/grub and was able to see messages. Its so fast
that it completes in a jiffy.

However, the main problem is Ctrl + Alt + F2 does not work. May be, this is a bug.

Main thing I want to discuss is about root login and password. When I go to manage
Users and accounts I can't see root. Also, If I give administrator permission to my login,
I can't edit /etc/default/grub.

I had to use sudo to edit grub file. Also, Ubuntu gives chance to login without password.
This is really against Unix principles.

Thanks and Regards,
Raghunand.