Re: ARM Linux book

Hi Naveen,

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM, naveen yadav <yad.naveen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have search on net but could not get good book on ARM that explain
> Linux in terms of ARM. I found one ARM System Developer's Guide _
> Designing and Optimizing System Software.
>
> I want similar book as
> Prentice.Hall.PTR.The.Linux.Kernel.Primer.A.Top.Down.Approach.for.x86.and.PowerPC.Architectures.Sep.2005
> Is there any similar book for ARM that explain kernel well.

I don't have that particular book, so I'm not sure exactly what it
contains. I've been working with ARM architectures for the last 5 or 6
years. The biggest difference is that you typically have to build
everything using a cross-compiler.

There is a bunch of information in the Documentation/arm directory.

In general terms, it's all very very similar to programming linux for
any other architecture. The biggest differences are that the ARM is
purely memory mapped - no I/O instructions. In order to turn on the
cache you need to tun on the MMU. Some ARMs use virtually tagged
caches and some use physically tagged caches. There typically is no HW
floating point support, although some of the newer ARMs have it.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada