Re: Kernel Panic when trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my Desktop w/ processor AMD K6/2-450.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM, David Castillo Fuentes <david.castillo.fuentes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Some days back I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 in my old Desktop which has a processor AMD K6/2-450, but when I tried to do so, I got a Kernel Panic, and the system reported that it was working under low memory conditions.

Most probably, total RAM on your system must have been too low. What happens in that condition is that kernel invokes the Out-of-Memory Killer (OOM) which selects a process/processes & shoots it in the face.  As a result, things spiral out of control & may lead to a panic. You have a very limited control over the OOM killer & you cannot always predict which process it will select. It is not a problem with the ISO or a specific linux distro. What is the total RAM on your system

Venkatram Tummala

Did you face a similar issue with this before?

Note: The ISO image that I'm working on is ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

Is there any old ISO image where this worked fine?

Thanks fro your support.

David