filesystem or database??

hello,
when we install any package (like  in  ubuntu) ,at end the terminal shows "reading database" . the idea i got by my friend is that package manager uses this database (like .deb or rpm).
but my question is : everything in linux is a file so it(database or files that it contains) must be placed somewhere in the  filesystem.what is the difference  if i say that package manager accesses nothing but the filesystem ( obviously a part of it) and database of a system( computer ) is nothing but  the filesystem (part of it ) itself  ?
i mean: what differs between these two that imposes us to name them differently?