Re: usb driver binding to the device

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Josh Cartwright <joshc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To 'bind' to a device means that your driver is asserting control of the
device.
You mean  to say the driver is trying to take control of the device.

On the previous slide, a USB device ID table was created that lists the
IDs of the devices the driver supports.
Do you mean to say that  it is  possible that same driver support multiple devices?
I have no clue of it.
When your driver registers to
the USB core (via usb_register()),
Can you point me which slide in the presentation I gave link is meaning this type of thing.
the core code looks at the list of
unclaimed devices and your provided ID table and calls your probe() for
any matches.

Your probe() callback is responsible for returning 0 if it wants to
'bind' to the device, otherwise you return an error.

Is 0 for success.

I see a structure
static struct  usb_driver {
.owner :
.name :
.probe :
.disconnect :
.id_connect :

}
I am not clear as how this structure has mapped to functions.

What my understanding of writing a device driver till now from my search on Internet is

reserve a set of major and minor number
define a file_operations structure associating to function pointers
we need to define  operations corresponding to system calls an application can apply

if I were to take above three points then on the link
http://www.kroah.com/linux/talks/ols_2005_driver_tutorial/index.html
which slide is doing that?