Re: usb driver binding to the device

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 09:15:12PM +0530, Bond wrote:
> Hi,
> I was going through a tutorial given here
> http://www.kroah.com/linux/talks/ols_2005_driver_tutorial/mgp00010.html
>
> I could not understand what did it means to bind to device as it is shown in
> this function on above link.

To 'bind' to a device means that your driver is asserting control of the
device.  The bus (in this case the USB) core code maintains the devices
and ensures that only one driver controls a device at a time.

On the previous slide, a USB device ID table was created that lists the
IDs of the devices the driver supports.  When your driver registers to
the USB core (via usb_register()), the core code looks at the list of
unclaimed devices and your provided ID table and calls your probe() for
any matches.

Your probe() callback is responsible for returning 0 if it wants to
'bind' to the device, otherwise you return an error.

--
                                  -joshc