Re: some questions about dma api

hi:

2010/8/31 Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Quite challenging.... here's some thoughts...
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 15:44, loody <miloody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Dear all:
>> There are some questions about dma api when I read the document:
>> 1. should dma apis in dma_mapping.h be implemented by different arch?
>
> The question is: are all architectures has DMA? for the same reason x86 has it?
>
> I mean here is, DMA is invented to cut the CPU load (read: sometimes
> CPU is not involved at all, only at the setup of transaction) during
> data transfer between memory and devices...but, let's say arch X can
> do it so efficiently even CPU is still in the game.....then I am not
> surprised we see no DMA there...
>
> And...maybe in other architecture it's not named DMA?
>
> PS: thus makes me think, in embedded archs, perhaps it can be done quite fast...

thanks for your explanation, btw I saw the document you wrote on full circle.
It's GREAT~~

There 5 Dmas on my embedded system and I try to implement the Kernel
Api for them to use.
But I have no idea what are they used for ?
after reading the dma-api.txt.
1. It seems some function used for memory coherent, other are no, such us
 :)
2. "dma map ops " I have no idea what it is used for? I have grep the
src, and it seems only x86 implement it.
appreciate your help,
miloody