implementing new device drivers

Hi there,
here is a (rather sad) story about my first linux device driver
implementation. I needed a driver for a watchdog timer chip which wasn't
included in the kernel tree some months ago. How great i thought! The
exciting opportunity to have my own code included in the mighty linux
kernel! Of course it took some time until a well tested patch was ready
to be reviewed. Just to be sure i downloaded the latest kernel release
candidate and applied the patch once more. At least i intended to. But
with a look at the latest changelog i had to painfully realize that it
was of no use because suddenly a driver was there :-(.

Two questions:

1. i'm wondering if there is a way to avoid situations like this. Can't
expect every new implementation efforts to be announced on the kernel
mailing list, can i?

2. my driver utilizes a sysfs interface which works fine and in my
opinion offers some advantages. Thus it doesn't conform to
Documentation/watchdog/watchdog-api.txt (which i considered to be sort
of a guideline) Do you think this were acceptable even if quite every
watchdog driver i had a look at implements watchdog-api?

Thanks a lot!

Lutz