Re: What's the relationship between pid and pid_t

Let's jump in and share more thoughts... :)

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:16, Aiolia Lea <casmyu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) If the user space process has existed, why the kernel still need to store
> a reference to it?

Because kernel still needs to access it?

> 2) From <understanding the linux kernel> 3rd edition, I found one pid
> structure can be corresponded to multi pid_t, and if we want to look up one
> task_struct by pid_t, we need to use a PID hash table. Honestly, I am
> confused by this flow.

Actually, this "messy flow" is due to introduction of pid namespace
and threading stuffs. Pid namespace, like the one you see in
linux-vserver etc makes you able to create different processes in
different guest (or let's say "realm") with same pid according to
their own realm.

Threading makes you share "real" pid, but actually they have their own
thread ID ...at least that's what I recall on top of my head.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant