Re: why change the irq smp_affinity of a process?

Robert P. J. Day ha scritto:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, luca ellero wrote:

Robert P. J. Day ha scritto:
  one of my current students observes the following -- that the proc
files /proc/irq/<PID>/smp_affinity are not only readable, but writable
and wonders why one would want to *change* the smp_affinity of IRQs
for a given process (if that's actually what that would mean).

  i've never looked closely at that.  any thoughts?

rday

ASAIK PID here is not "Process ID" but is the "irq ID". So
smp_affinity simply binds that irq to a particular CPU.

  you're right, i typed that when not fully awake yet, sorry.

This is done for better cache locality I think, because this irq
will be always served by the same CPU and the handler will
(hopefully) be in the local cache. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
regards

  thanks, i think i see how it works now.  will investigate further
later.

rday

see also Documentation\IRQ-affinity.txt