Re: how to trace a kernel function without using kprobes

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 00:35, Kiran P <kiran.kiranp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to trace some kernel driver functions. But kernel is not
> compiled with kprobes and I am not allowed to recompile the kernel.

Not even single tracing facility is turned on? Oh boy...ok let me
think....too bad it's not inside virtual machine or let's say User
Mode Linux.

How about this....sounds crazy maybe...you mark the page that contains
the target code(s) as non executable? That way, it will trigger
fault... but then the problem shifts....you need to modify the fault
handler...

Or maybe you can mimic the way kprobe work...AFAIK it's : put INT 3
code in the function's prolog...install break point handler...copy the
original somewhere else. Code is executed, init 03H kicks in, handler
is called....you then know it is called...the return to original code.
Mind you, take care about stack frame condition.

Maybe this method is too risky or too fancy...so it's up to you to try
it or not.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa