Re: [OT] list admin question - spam filtering?

On 06/23/2010 07:31 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
List Admin,

I'm part of the openSUSE team which has 100+ mailing lists it maintains.

We are considering moving to a email posting model similar to the lkml
lists.  ie. No subscription required.

I see the info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-taboos.txt

But it is hard for me to believe that is the only spam filtering done
by the list admins.

As you can see from the email address you sent your email
to, the kernelnewbies list is not hosted at vger.kernel.org.

Can you tell me if there is other spam filtering going and if so point
me at resources related to it.

The kernelnewbies spam filtering (at nl.linux.org) is done
in a few layers:
1) blocklists at SMTP time (spamhaus, spamcop & PSBL)
2) greylisting
3) bogofilter
    => email from subscribers is learned as ham
    => email to spamtraps is learned as spam
    => email from others to the list is scored by bogofilter

This seems to take care of most spam.  Email that is about the
same topic as email from list subscribers is easily identified
by a bayesian filter, as is email that looks just like the
spamtrap email.