Re: compelling reason to *not* select proc filesystem for kernel?

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Srdjan Todorovic <todorovic.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 22 June 2010 14:15, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  i'm in the middle of writing a lesson regarding the proc filesystem
> and i was wondering about any compelling reasons to *not* select the
> proc filesystem for the kernel you're building if you're working with
> a fairly new kernel source tree.
>
>  the only reason i can come up with is if you're building a *really*
> tiny embedded system that is stripped and minimal to the point where
> it's unnecessary, but even *that* doesn't sound convincing.

Perhaps if you only ever had one user process running (init?) and you
never wanted to run ps...

Surely procfs isn't that big as to justify removing it on size constraints?

I ack Srdjan because proc can be skipped if you do not need more than a few userspace programs as a tiny embedded system where it has to deal with a specific problem rather than a general purpose embedded system like PC or a smartphone.

--
Shaz