Re: browsing the kernel source with ctags?

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:13:59PM -0800, Tony Miller wrote:
> Is it possible to browse the kernel source with ctags? I used
> exuberant-ctags to generate a tags file for my kernel sources, but it
> doesn't really work as you expect. If you try to jump to the definition of a
> function it will often not jump to the right location, for example I tried
> to jump to the definition of do_gettimeofday() and i ended up in
> arch/alpha/kernel/time.c.

That is the right place for it :)

The issue is that you are searching all of the different architectures,
how is ctags supposed to know you don't want the alpha definition, but
really the ia64 definition of the function?

You should try to trim the files you are using, the kernel has a build
option for this:
	make tags
or if you use cscope:
	make cscope