Re: Embedded Linux development

hi,

El Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 02:57:36AM +0900 Yangkook Kim ha dit:

> >Is there a list of known bugs for existing hardware or requests
> >for new driver development that I can find somewhere? This would
> >be a great starting point.

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ has a list of open bugs, though i think
most bugs aren't reported there.

> It seems that people are not answering the question above.
> Does that mean that there is no such list that Paven is asking?
> I think what he wants is some websites like kernel janitor where
> you can easily find what drivers you can contribute to.
>
> Sorry for interruputing, Paven, but let me put my question into
> the thread since it is related with yours.
>
> I am wondering if such thing as openly developed drivers really exits.
> I thought that hardware vendors are responsible for providing drivers and
> there is almost no room where open source community can contribute
> to the development (open source community refers to a group of people
> who do not working in hardware vendors). Is my understanding wrong?
>
> If not wrong, Paven and I want to know where we can find information
> about drivers that people outside vendors can contribute to the
> development.

i think the Linux Driver Project is what you are looking for:
http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/foswiki/bin/view

"We are a group of Linux kernel developers (over 200 strong) and
project managers (over 10) that develop and maintain Linux kernel
drivers. We work with the manufacturers of the specific device to
specify, develop, submit to the main kernel, and maintain the kernel
drivers. We are willing and able to sign NDAs with companies if they
wish to keep their specifications closed, as long as we are able to
create a proper GPLv2 Linux kernel driver as an end result. "

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Developer

            You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even
          destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind
                            (Mahatma Gandhi)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-