Re: 'No such device or address' when writing to device driver

On 1/7/10, Sam Carter <sam.w.carter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to write a simple char driver following the 'Linux Device
> Drivers' book from O' Reilly. My driver appears in /proc/devices and under
> lsmod. I've been trying to register the device fops table so I can
> read/write to it, however when I try to cat some data to it in /dev/myDevice
> I get the error 'No such device or address'. The device does appear on the
> list with ls /dev/.
>
> Can anyone help me find the source of this problem? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps it would be clearer for us if you can post the source code or
upload it somewhere.

I guess that something is wrong with your writing handler. How about
reading some data from it? Does it work? And what does ls -li <your
device name> say?

Another idea is to put printk() in the very first line of your writing
handler to see if this handler is indeed called after all. So we know
where to further pinpoint the error.

Just my  2 cents....

--
regards,