Re: kernel compilation help

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Murali N <nalajala.murali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
> As a initial step to learn about the kernel i am planning to compile
> my own kernel and boot the system.
> Can any one please share useful links on net. i found some but they
> are very abstract.

Hi...

First of all, grab kernel source from kernel.org. Unpack, then do:
make mrproper
make menuconfig (make sure you have installed ncurses devel package
here)...then do some configuration
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

then copy the kernel image, most likely in arch/x86/. Copy a file
named bzImage to another directory. You can pick /boot for instance.
Then configure GRUB or the boot loader of your choice.

> Also i have one query.
>
> To boot my system do i really need to built the initrd file? shall i
> use the existing initrd file which is there in my running PC?

Quite likely yes. Unless you built everything as single kernel image,
you will find some of kernel modules are needed during initial boot
stage. This is why you need initrd.

It acts as initial root filesystem containing modules needed to
proceed into complete successful booting e.g loading ext3 kernel
module to access real filesystem, loading LVM modules in case your
root filesystem stays inside LVM etc etc

Afterward, initrd has no use at all. It will be simply thrown away from RAM.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant