Re: Getting started with kernel development

Nicky Chorley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Linux for several years now and I'm interested in
> learning how the kernel works and being able to contribute to its
> development. However, I'm quite confused as to how to get going with
> this. I've bought two books on the subject - "Understanding the Linux
> kernel" and "Linux Kernel Development", but I guess the problem is
> that I can't really follow the source code while I'm reading - there
> aren't enough pointers in the books to the relevant code and it's
> quite difficult to navigate the tree, since it's so big.
>
> Another thing is that I'm not sure which area of the kernel I'd like
> to contribute to. This is because I don't yet know how it works, so I
> can't make any (informed) decision. This is perhaps not much of a
> problem, I think, since once I learn how things work, I will hopefully
> be able to contribute (learning more as I do so) to an area that needs
> it.
>
> Assuming that I know nothing (except some C), what advice would you
> give me if I wanted to successfully join the kernel development
> community?

Hi,

If its only Linux you are interested in then other answers are there for you.
If you want to know things from scratch please clone:

git[colon]git[dot]gitorious[dot]org[slash]freax[slash]freax[dot]git

I have recently started it for learning purpose since Linux is too big to learn things from scratch.
Don't expect much from it for now.

- Himanshu

[P.S.] This at least forces me to read Intel's manuals ;-)