Re: Using kgdb to debug linux kernel modules

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Grigory Makarevich
<grigorymakarevich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I was trying to debug linux kernel module using standard procedure described
> for kgdb.
> So I have used add-symbol-file [module].ko <address>.
>
> I was able to resolve symbols from the module and setup breakpoints.
> Debugger stops at the breakpoint, however, it shows "no line information"
> when trying to step through.
>
> Module is compiled with debug info. Loading [module].ko with
>
> gdb [module].ko correctly shows lines for functions.
>
> Did somebody face the same problem and if so what was the solution?

Once I used  kdgb, just to get to know it. IMO, there are two possible
reasons why you face such situation:
a. kgdb is (a bit unlikely) unable to read the complete DWARF
information embedded in your kernel module .ko file

or...

b. it can read the DWARF information, but somehow fail to do address
to line correlation. Perhaps it could simply be corrected by adjusting
some gdb variables. I vaguely recall there is gdb parameter to do what
I mention, but I completely forget.

BTW, make sure your kernel image and your kernel module are all
compiled using same gcc version and same gcc CFLAGS. Just to avoid
small pitfalls that might do unexpected things regarding this
debugging procedure.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa