Re: Linux based development for New Hardware/board

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:

> Hi Dhaval,
>
> On 12/15/09, Dhaval Shah <osbydhaval@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to develope Linux based product for a new hardware board. I
> > understand that I will need compiler(may be GCC with my processor
> > switch) to compile linux source code, Board support package (drivers)
> > for hardware board and means to load this kernal into the board and
> > get it running.
> >
> > Is my understanding correct or am I missing anything?
> >

> Yes, you got the idea. Basically you will need:
>
> * gcc support to your processor (what processor is your processor?);
>
> * add a bootloader to your board (U-Boot, RedBoot, uMon, or other);
>
> * add support on Linux to your board;
>
> * create a root file system (you can create a simple rootfs using Busybox);
>
> In order to get a bootloader working you can use a JTAG adapter to
> debug purpose.
>
> To compile the kernel and roofs you can use some build system tool
> as BuildRoot, LTIB, OpenEmbedded/Bitbake, Scratchbox or other. It
> will simplify the cross-compiling process.

  to get things going, i suggest just trying to get a loading kernel,
so you can boot to the point where the kernel tries to mount the root
filesystem, can't find it, and falls over and dies.  that will at
least verify that you have a loadable/runnable kernel.

rday