Doubt in i2c

Hi ,
I'm trying to understand i2c core of linux kernel (2.6.30). I have a doubt about, how the i2c core identifies that particular device has been attached in a certain adapter(consider that there are more than one adapters). Because,we didn't specify the adapter id while registering i2c client driver. For some main board i2c, we declare i2c board information using i2c_board_info structure and register using ,omap_register_i2c_bus( ) so that the i2c core can know that particular i2c device is located in the particular adapter. What about add on i2c boards??. We didn't specify the client information ,while registering the adapter. Then, how does the i2c core knows that
the particular device is located in particular adapter??.

I hope ,I explain my doubt clear.

regards,
P.Arun