Re: Re: Error while compiling 2.6.10 kernel

Hi..

On 12/14/09, Pulkit Goel <vipulkit.goel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> *Hi all,*
>
> Actually I have the same problem,
>
> Whenever I compile Old Kernel on a new Kernel system Then its always gives
> error in compilation
> When i troubleshoot then i found that* "gcc compiler version mismatches"* &
> we are unable to downgrade the* gcc.*
> so My Question is that.
>
> Q) There is no way to install old kernel on a new system or to downgarde the
> kernel ??

To the best that I know, actually you can install old kernel on new
system. It just depends whether your distro includes old gcc or not.

Like I previously describe, once in redhat 9 or fedora core 2 (i
forgot which one), there is a package called egcs. This is actually an
older gcc version at that day (maybe 3.1 or 3.2, while by default it
uses 3.4..I might be wrong though).

However....... the best result..of course, is achieved when kernel and
user space are compiled with the same gcc version. I'm not talking
about using different gcc version will make one side degrades over the
other, but it's about making sure ABI is working as expected.
Different gcc version, AFAIK, could create different way on doing
something.

For example (hopefully I explain it correctly, crossing my finger)
take vsyscall page. It is effectively use if gcc creates binaries that
do jump to that page's address. Well, jumping to vsyscall is not a
must since you can still do int 80 and putting syscall number in EAX
though, but via vsyscall, kernel can decide to instead use faster
SYSCALL/SYSENTER.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa