Re: Probe method vs attach method.

Thanks Greg for the reply!

I have an i2c driver written using the attach method for binding. It opens the device and reads the registers etc.

The following document talks about another binding method.
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/i2c/upgrading-clients

Could you clarify that whether the new binding method is the way to go for i2c devices. Do I have to rewrite the current driver to make it compatible with future kernel versions.?

Thanking you for your time.

Best Regards,
L Komz.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:51:19PM -0600, LKomz Komz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Could you help me understand the latest trends in Kernel mode drivers.
> I hear that there are two methods by which the driver attaches itself to the
> kernel:
> 1)Probe method and
> 2)Attach method.
>
> I have a driver written using the attach method. Is the kernel driver
> community moving towards probe method?

It depends on the type of driver you are writing.

What type of driver are you thinking of?

And do you have an example of what you think the differences are?  As
the maintainer of the kernel's driver core, I really don't understand
what you are getting at, and I think I should :)

thanks,

greg k-h