Re: tracing only direct childrens

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Shameem Ahamed
<shameem.ahamed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I know this is not the correct list to ask this question. But I am sure somebody from here can help me out.
>
> My problem is, i am trying to trace a currently running Apache root process for creation of childs using strace.  But strace also lists the details of childs of childs. I want to restrict my trace only to the direct childrens.
>
> How can we do it? .
>
> Regards,
> Shameem
>

> --

I am not aware of any such direct option available for strace program
but I can suggest you other ways. You can use "-p" option and give
list which will include pids of root process and its immediate
children if processes are already started.

Or you can dump the trace output to the file rather than to stderr
using "-o filename" option. If you use "-ff" to trace child processes
rather than just "-f" then you will get trace output as
"filename.pid". Now you can observe each process's trace separately
per pid.

Hope this helps.

-Vinit