Re: Problem in Configuring UMAX Scanner

Did u read the man about scanimage?
http://www.sane-project.org/man/scanimage.1.html
  The -L or --list-devices option requests a (partial)  list  of  devices
       that are available.  The list is not complete since some devices may be
       available, but are not listed in any of the configuration files  (which
       are  typically  stored in directory /etc/sane.d).  This is particularly
       the case when accessing scanners through the network.  If a  device  is
       not listed in a configuration file, the only way to access it is by its
       full device name.  You may need to consult your system administrator to
       find out the names of such devices.

and http://stef.dev.free.fr/sane/testing/index.html
here give the debug method.
export SANE_DEBUG_RTS8891=255
export SANE_DEBUG_RTS8891_LOW=255
export SANE_DEBUG_RTS88XX_LIB=255
export LD_PRELOAD=backend/.libs/libsane-rts8891.so
export SANE_CONFIG_DIR=backend
frontend/.libs/scanimage -d rts8891 2>rts8891-scan.log >rts8891-scan.pnm
and use the method of the article to find out what is wrong with your driver.

--
Best Regards
Lin