Re: advice on free software

> I think this case is strictly a matter of point of view. Let me ask
> you something: are you funded by your company to write those kernel
> codes? Or at least those codes are written as a part of official
> assignment from your superior? And is there specific agreement between
> you and your employer, whether all your work will belong as
> intellectual property of your employer, or you stil retain as your
> own?

Yes.

> If most of the answers of the above questions are yes, especially
> about the intellectual property (thus, you're forbidden to disclose
> them publicly), then the only way to made it as free (as free speech)
> is to convince them. Perhaps what you can do is:
>
> a. Explain that free here refers to free speech, not free beer. So,
> other can look at the codes and use them, however your employer could
> still retain the intellectual property and still can get money from
> the codes by providing supports and consulting services

Tried, unfortunately they are not convinced about this..

> b. Especially by marking your codes as GPL, then the derived codes
> must also be in the form of GPL-ed codes (if I understand GPL
> correctly). Then, it will stay open. Thus, even if your competitor
> improve it, you can still see them and use it too. IMO, although in
> business sense it sounds kinda silly, but actually it's a fair game,
> don't you think?

I know what you're saying but I tried this too and they're not going
to buy it. But I ask you - doesn't the GPL assert the right to free
software - and me making it open is actually not in violation of law?
I understand that my work is the intellectual property of my company,
but how does me making it openly available put me in any sort of legal
risk? Infact I will be in agreement with law by open sourcing my work
which was supposed to be open in the first place (derived work) isn't
it?

Thanks
Brian