Re: advice on free software

Hi Brian....

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Brian Smith <pagefaulthandler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is a certain amount of kernel code I've written that I'd like to
> contribute back to the linux kernel or atleast put up somewhere to
> show people. My organization however is hiding this code and doesn't
> want to reveal it to keep competitors from acquiring the sources.
> Is there anything I can say to convince them? As a last resort, I'm
> thinking of naming the project something else and open sourcing it
> anyway - are there any legal implications to this?

I think this case is strictly a matter of point of view. Let me ask
you something: are you funded by your company to write those kernel
codes? Or at least those codes are written as a part of official
assignment from your superior? And is there specific agreement between
you and your employer, whether all your work will belong as
intellectual property of your employer, or you stil retain as your
own?

If most of the answers of the above questions are yes, especially
about the intellectual property (thus, you're forbidden to disclose
them publicly), then the only way to made it as free (as free speech)
is to convince them. Perhaps what you can do is:

a. Explain that free here refers to free speech, not free beer. So,
other can look at the codes and use them, however your employer could
still retain the intellectual property and still can get money from
the codes by providing supports and consulting services

b. Especially by marking your codes as GPL, then the derived codes
must also be in the form of GPL-ed codes (if I understand GPL
correctly). Then, it will stay open. Thus, even if your competitor
improve it, you can still see them and use it too. IMO, although in
business sense it sounds kinda silly, but actually it's a fair game,
don't you think?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa