Threaded Network Device Interrupts

Look at this:

http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/

and in particular the following - Steven Rostedt is talking about
replacing softirq with threaded interrupt.   Amazing innovations!!!

http://linuxplumbersconf.org/ocw/proposals/53

Threaded Network Device Interrupts
*
Networking
Talk
lpc2009-0053
Scheduled: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 from 11:30am – 12:15pm in Salon E
Excerpt

Increasing networking performance by using threaded interrupts for the
network devices.
Description

Several in the networking community are skeptical on using interrupt
threads for the network devices. I will argue that not only does it
make the solution more simplex, but also increases network throughput.
With the introduction of the threaded interrupt infrastructure into
2.6.30, the path has been paved to allow networking devices to take
advantage of this. The threaded interrupt may then do all the work
needed to hand off the packet to the thread code without all the
complexities needed in locking while using the softirqs.

I will present my ideas and even a working proof of concept, to
convince those that still have doubts that the future of the network
and Linux in general, is a kernel free from softirqs.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh