contributing to linux kernel.

Hello list,

I am interested towards contributing towards kernel in the form of
patches bug fixes or small enhancements to start off. I have completed
studying some of the pre-requisite books on kernel programming (RL,
UTLK3, some parts of LDD3 - as suggested on other newbie threads) and
also followed some of the threads which has enabled me to learn a lot
more.

Although am interested in contributing towards the kernel security or
file systems project related to the kernel, I would take up other things
to start of with. Please suggest what are the possible on going projects
where I could contribute or start looking into.

I was mostly thinking of LSM, SELinux or btrfs, Ext4 ? Can anyone
provide any pointers or tutorials or the project page where I could do
some additional reading to get some hands on ?

Additionally couple of questions which remain unanswered in my mind are
related to the kernel bugs. How do we look actually file bugs into when
someone finds a bug should we notify the community in advance ? Does the
bug get reviewed by the maintainers before its assigned? Does it get
assigned to someone or can we pick up any open bug of our interest and
try start fixing it ? Should we inform the maintainers or the sub-group
as to who would be working on this?

I apologize of having missed out any reading as I have asked too a many
number of questions.  Appreciate any suggestions from the list members.

Thanks in advance