development/hacking environment reg.

hi all,

i just started learning about linux kernel hacking. pardon me if this question was already asked. if yes, please point me to the archived mail on this subject.

question: as of now, i have only one pc (dell dimension 3000). i've dual booted it with windows. in the kernelnewbies faqs i read people suggesting to start compiling the kernel source and do it in a periodic basis and in the process see if any bugs come up during normal use of the kernel. if any problem is found, we need to submit a bug report and if possible track down the bug, fix it and submit a patch. what is the normal environment that is used by most of the kernel hackers and developers? do they have a dedicated pc for this work and have a separate pc for other uses? or just create a partition in the hard drive and use this partition for kernel related development?

any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-anand.