Re: "pseudo" file system versus "virtual" file system?

On 9/25/09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   reading a linux doc, which refers to /sys as an example of a
> "virtual" file system.  is that usage common?  i normally refer to
> things like /sys and /proc as "pseudo" file systems.  and virtual file
> system is dangerously close to suggesting the VFS, which is totally
> different.
>
>   thoughts on common usage?

I am on the same page with you to say that /sys, /proc etc are better
called pseudo file system instead of "virtual" file system. One of the
reason, again I agree with you, that to avoid confusion with VFS as
Virtual File System layer (abstraction layer of specific filesystem
implementation. Second.

I am not a native English speaker, so to me...gramatically pseudo and
virtual seems interchangable. But I remember, when we talk about
coding, we call it "pseudo code" to show general idea of what the
codes are doing. The same also applies to things like pseudo random
number. So maybe in mathematical or general technical terms, pseudo is
more grammatically preferred.

PS: Further thought, when we see FUSE...IMHO we could call it virtual
file system, because it sits above the actual VFS layer and mostly
used to represent something into filesystem alike e.g representing
gmail inbox as folders and files.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa