"driver model" confusion

Hi all,

I've got a digital IO board sitting on a ISA bus in an industrial x86
computer. I've got a simple driver with ioctl interface for toggling the
IO pins Hi and Low and it works fine.

Now I'm about to develop a bitbanging SPI driver with the use of
drivers/spi/spi_bitbang.c. Unfortunately I don't understand how to glue
it with my IO driver, more precisely - how to register a new SPI driver.

The other modules in drivers/spi seem to use platform_driver_register()
or spi_register_driver() to get their blah_probe() called and then they
go from there. However, whatever I tried, my _probe() method never gets
called. The module is as simple as this (remove/exit methods omitted
from this email):

	static int inro_spi_probe(struct spi_device *dev)
	{
	    printk(KERN_INFO PFX "inro_spi_probe() called\n");
	    return -ENODEV;
	}
	static struct spi_driver inro_spi_drv = {
	    .probe   = inro_spi_probe,
	    .driver  = { .name   = "inro_spi", .owner  = THIS_MODULE, },
	};
	static int __init inro_spi_init(void)
	{
	    printk(KERN_INFO PFX "inro_spi_init() called\n");
	    return spi_register_driver(&inro_spi_drv);
	}
	module_init(inro_spi_init);

I tried spi_register_driver() as well as platform_driver_register() both
to no avail. I assume I'd need some support in xxx_platform_data for
platform_driver_register() to work but since we're running an unmodified
Debian kernel on x86 I can't do that. What needs to be done for
spi_register_driver() to call my _probe() I have no idea.

So my question is how to register/init the module and make it available
to the SPI subsystem? I somehow can't figure it out :-(

Thanks for any hints!

Michal