Re: FS block size and Architecture Dependency

Hello All,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Check this:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/4/50

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/20/238

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/8/4

blocksize and pagesize always have to match for optimum performance,
so max size for blocksize is pagesize.

not sure why u want to have large blocksize....check this:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0510.2/0513.html

even if u want to update ONE byte....u have to lock the entire
blocksize....moreover...blocksize also affect application performance
(Oracle):

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1252466541647+28353475&threadId=1304351

so fundamentally, why the link between pagesize and blocksize?

well.....virtual memory operation is always physically contiguous at
the PAGESIZE level....so hardware wise there is no discontinuity when
u do a copy.

Thanks Peter for the links.

but then there exists something called scatter-gather I/O
APIs...allowing multiple discontinous range of physical I/O
operation.....no knowledge of that....perhaps someone can comment?

waiting for it....

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh