FS block size and Architecture Dependency

Hello All,

I found this paragraph while understanding file systems.

"
I assume that you are setting this up with ext3 and hence my answer ties to this. If your filesystem is different, you should say so.

Note: *In ext3, an 8K block size on the fs is only possible if you use Itanium and other 8K architectures. If your architecture is x86, x86_64, it is not possible to have a block size greater than 4k*. If you try to make an ext3 fs you will fail with an error message similar to this:

mkfs.ext3: 8192-byte blocks too big for system (max 4096)

So,if your server architecture can take it, you can
i)use parted post installation to make the partition and then type the following example (if your partition is called for instance /dev/sda2):

mkfs -t ext3 -b 8192 /dev/sda2
"
link : http://osdir.com/ml/redhat-list/2009-06/msg00131.html

I could not figure out the dependency between the file system block size and the architecture.

Can somebody guide me in this ?

--
Regards,
Rishi B. Agrawal