Re: Fwd: disable_irq in ndo_poll_controller

Hi Michael,

2009/9/4 Michael Blizek <michi1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > My guess without knowing or having looked at the driver is that it might
>> > tell the device to stop sending interrupts. Instead the device may be polled
>> > if there is work to do. This reduces the load if the device would otherwise
>> > send lots of interrupts.
>> >

>> Do you mix up poll_controller in netconsole and poll in NAPI?
>
> Huh?
>
> I do not really know what you mean by this question. I have not looked at

I have ask someone the same question, he mix up poll in netconsole and
NAPI.  "reduces the load" reminds me this.
> the driver, but an interrupt register in a device sounds like interrupt
> mitigation or something like this (e.g. not turning off the interrupts on
> the local CPU).
>
>        -Michi
> --

I still can't understand why need disable irq in all drivers
ndo_poll_controller implementation? and Is all the three method
equivalent?

Thanks,
Jisheng