Re: [NEWBIE]

ED,

Can you just tell how to use this script for searching efficiently. I tried like :

script.sh task_struct.

Anything more if you want to add in this.

Krishna

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Deven <drt80d@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 19:01 +0530, Chandrakant Kumar wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm a computer science student . I am studying operating systems in the
>> current semester , so i got a chance to study about linux. I want to
>> learn kernel programming. may you people please tell me what materials
>> and books i should go through. please provide me exact pointers to
>> resources.
>
> I would recommend:
>
> "Linux Kernel Development" -Robert Love
>
> This is an excellent book to know how the Linux kernel works.
>
> Before you read it, you need some Linux System Programming background.
> You need this to fully understand the concepts.

There are two main areas of learning you can consider: the kernel's
core functionality like its virtual memory subsystem, and its device
drivers.

For the former, a good resource is Mel Gorman's work:

 http://is.gd/34W69

... which is probably still available online as well.

For device drivers, there's the well known _Linux Device Drivers_,
which is available in print and as PDFs.

But whatever you read, make sure to refer to the kernel sources
themselves as you read.  It will help you to relate what you learn to
something concrete.  You can use your reading as a chance to get to
know the layout of the kernel sources.

It also helps to have a specific project in mind.  Without some goal
in mind, I find it more difficult to retain new information.

Finally, here's a script that you might like to use in searching for
specific functions and macros in the kernel.  Often the best way to
understand something is to look at how it is being used in the
kernel.  There are alternatives like cscope.

#! /bin/sh
# kern-find-grep - find regex in kernel sources
#

test -z "$*" && exit 0
nocase=
if test "$1" = "-i"; then
   nocase="-i"
   shift
fi

extended=
if test "$1" = "-e"; then
   extended="e"
   shift
fi

# set -x
find . -type d -name .svn -prune -o \
       -type d -name .git -prune -o \
       -type f \
       ! -name '*.o' \
       ! -name 'vmlinu*' \
       ! -name '.tmp_*' \
       ! -name '*.ko' \
       ! -name '*.ver' \
       ! -name '.*.o.cmd' \
       ! -name '.*.ko.cmd' \
       ! -name '*~' \
       ! -name '*.a' \
       ! -name '*.so' \
       -print0 | xargs -0 -e ${extended}grep --color=never $nocase -n -e "$*"

--
 Ed Cashin <ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://noserose.net/e/