Re: decoding kernel oops

Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was going through this post
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/1/8/546623 and
> couldn't understand the steps around the below paragraph.
>
> "
> and run it under gdb, and then when it gets the SIGSEGV (due to the
> obvious NULL pointer dereference), I can just ask gdb to disassemble
> around the array that contains the code[] stuff. Try a few offsets, to see
> when the disassembly makes sense (and gives the reported EIP as the
> beginning of one of the disassembled instructions).
> "
> Has anyone tried this ?? I don't see any useful disas instructions
> when I do so ... Need help in interpreting the procedures of the above
> post.

It sounds like the idea is to copy the hex printout of the
instructions in the "Code:" section of the oops, putting them into an
array in a (normal userland) C program, so that gdb can attempt to
treat the bytes in the array as instructions for disassembly.

If you did that but couldn't see any coherent disassembly, you might
not have found the right offset, but I suppose there could be other
problems, like a 32 versus 64-bit mismatch or an architecture
mismatch.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Find experimental aoe Linux driver patches at