Re: fixing daq driver dma access

Hi Sven...

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Sven-Maurice
Althoff<mosta.me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I need help for a small fix to a device driver for a daq card  The  only
> driver available to me uses the bigphysarea patch, to allocate physical
> memory for the dma access. The problem is that I can't find a newer patch
> that work with the 2.6.24 Kernel. So my question is with what memory
> allocator function should I replace it? Is there a other memory allocator
> that replaced it.
>
> greetings mosta

I check your mentioned bigphysarea patch at
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.2/2199.html (first
time I read about this patch).

It seems that it uses alloc_bootmem_low_pages() for allocating some
number of pages during boot stage, and this function is still exist in
2.6.30.5. The rest of the patch, to the best I read, rely in kmalloc
and kfree.

So, overall, I think you can simply try to apply the patch (for
example, from the URL I pasted above). pay attention that i386 and
x86-64 now lives inside x886 directory, so you need slight adjustment
in the diff file.

Good luck....

--
regards,