Re: want to write a file system

I have written a file system in linux several years ago. I used a book called UNIX FILE SYSTEM by Steve Pate

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar <chambilkethakur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Srdjan Todorovic <todorovic.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 03/08/2009, nidhi mittal hada <nidhimittal19@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello all
> i want to write a filesystem for kernel for learning purpose only .
> i have read background theory from bach utlk
> i was studying ext2 code for knowing how its written

Understanding the Linux Kernel revision 3 has a very good chapter on
Ext2/3. Is this not good enough?

> but its huge code i am reading it from days
> but i feel i catch one corner and forgetting other ...not much success

Maybe you just need to take your time and read it a few times until
the information sinks in.

> can someone guide how shd i proceed in understanding ext2 ..

shd?
Please avoid such langauge.

You can understand ext2 by looking at the code and reading the
documentation (UTLKr3 and that other paper on ext2 which I forget the
name of - Design of the Ext2 Filesystem?).

> actually i want some place where i can get ext2 documented ...or some
> paper on it
> o any kind of help will be appreciated ..

You could document it yourself. I'm documenting some userland software
at work that I haven't written and it's amazing how good documenting
something is at teaching you about the code/program.
Rightly said.
You need a little backgroud in block driver so read block drivers in ldd.
ext2 is full fledged filesystem, understanding it may take huge time. Wirting a full filesystem may take _months__. If you look in archives of this mailing list, there are couple of people who have writtten smaller filesystems meant for specail purpose, look at them and the related document. Look at earlier versions of filesystems, say files system from Linux 1.0. Google around for sample file systems. Look for NNGFS and shfs. they may be of some help in understanding the basics.
Thanks.