Re: Ethernet congestion management

Hi!

On 23:02 Mon 27 Jul     , Vivek Subbarao wrote:
> Congestion control is handled by both the sender and the receiver. If
> the receiver figures out that there is congestion that i can indicate
> the same to the sender by sending a packet back (probably thru another
> route). The sender then can take the appropriate action.

You are talking about layer 4. Lukasz and me were talking about layer 2. This
is different, because on layer 2, you do not need as much congestion handling.
You can often send whatever you want at full line speed. If you cannot,
because a switch is overloaded, you will be throttled down via ethernet flow
control. Even if this is turned off, doing congestion handling on layer 2 is
much easier than doing it on layer 4, because latency between sender and
reveiver is much lower.

> Also congestion can be in any of the intermediate routes and the
> receiver may be totally unaware of it. In the end its the senders
> responsibility to make sure that the packets are delivered (and in order
> if necessary) and the its the receivers responsibility to make sure that
> i receives all the packets.

There usually are no intermediate routers, if you are operating on layer 2.

> Remember that some packets may get dropped by the intermediate routers
> and mechanism to handle this should also be implemented.

Packets may be lost in lots of places. If the link quality is bad, it can even
be part of normal operation in a network without any congestion.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com