Re: Accessing File system directories

Dan Danillo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to find out how to browse the file system from the
>> linux kernel. Especially the directory content is interesting to
>> me. Can anyone give me a hint? Are there even some libc like
>> functions to do that ?
> You might want to read this:
>
> http://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/WhyWritingFilesFromKernelIsBad

 OK, I don't understand it all, but I get the meaning that I should
 not access the file system from the kernel. Then I have no idea how
 to solve my problem.

 Maybe you can propose something else. Please have a look here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.embedded/browse_thread/thread/169cc7835af4fd7f/784b3081b0d12072

I'm afraid I'm not sure how to go about this either. As I understand it, you want to emulate a USB mass-storage device containing a FAT file system, utilizing the contents of a local file system which may be formatted using a different file system?

Could you create a daemon that attaches to a usb gadget driver? The daemon in user space would be able to access whichever file system you want?

Either that or look at the NFS kernel server code? I assume that this must be doing something similar to what you want to do, just for networking rather than USB.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch MEng MPhil MIET (Principal Software Engineer) T:+44(0)1327322748
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms Ltd,        |Registered in England and Wales