Re: Accessing File system directories

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Dan Danillo<dandanillo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out how to browse the file system from the linux kernel.

What exactly do you mean by that.
Do you mean that you want to traverse the namespace being inside the
kernel through some kernel module or something?

> Especially the directory content is interesting to me.
> Can anyone give me a hint? Are there even some libc like functions to do
> that ?

The libc functions like these map to the kernel code eventually, so
mostly there will be one.

> So far I have found the filp_open, vfs_read and vfs_readdir functions.
>
> However, the vfs_readdir function expects a function pointer to somehow
> format the directory information.
> My assumption is that this is the wrong function.
> So I guess that's not the function I'm after.

Do you want it at vfs layer ....
or at the file system level....

What all information do you have before you could call this function
which will traverse the file system hierarchy for you?